Istio is one of the most popular services mesh solutions available these days. In this deep dive session, let us see how to build and deploy Java microservices to the cloud using Istio, Kubernetes, JHipster, and Spring Cloud.
Istio moves the responsibility of service discovery, load balancing, circuit breaking, monitoring, etc from the application to the platform(Kubernetes) thus letting the developers focus on the business code. But setting it up could be a daunting task for beginners and pros alike. In this session, we will take a deep dive into how Istio works and will learn how to use different features of istio, like load balancing, canary deployments, A/B testing, and so on.
What you will learn:
- What is a service mesh, how does Istio work, and what features does it offer
- How to build Java microservices quickly using JHipster
- How to add Istio support to your Java microservices
- Setup Istio on a Kubernetes installation (for example on Google Cloud)
- Setup observability and monitoring for the Kubernetes + Istio cluster
- Deploy microservices to Kubernetes
- How to use different Istio features like load balancing, canary deployments, A/B testing, routing, and traffic splits
- Security options for Java + Spring + Istio
You may have heard the words Project Loom, Fibers, Structured concurrency, and Virtual threads from Java enthusiasts. But what exactly are these, and what is the current state of concurrency in Java? can Java keep up with languages like Go and Rust when it comes to fearless concurrency? Let's be honest, concurrency in java is not among the easiest to master, and thread safety is even more difficult to get right. Can Project loom help to make it easier and less idiot-proof? In this session, I'll do a deep dive into Project loom and explain the different features in the work, look at the current state, and compare it with what we have today with some samples. We will also look into it from the aspect of what a normally Java developer can expect/benefit from it. So come join me for an exciting ride.